Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday Memories--The last May


This photo was taken at the retirement apartments lobby where my parents were living in May 1999. Mother died the following January. I think I had been in Chicago for the Medical Library Association meeting, and took the bus to Rockford, where my sister who lived in DC, met me. Mother's birthday was in May, and I think we had chosen that time, and I'm so glad we did. The four of us had a wonderful visit. I remember my sister, mother and I drove to Forreston where we had lived from 1946-1951 and drove around looking at our former houses and where we'd gone to church. Mom showed us a little garden plot she had behind the retirement complex, and we attended some of the special program functions with her that the facility offered. I think I arrived on a Friday or Saturday, so we probably went to church together. I would be back again in August, 1999, to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary, but this was our last May. When your parents are in their 80s or 90s, you often wonder, "is this the last" birthday, concert, family holiday, mother's day, etc.

Mother's Day is coming up on May 13th. Go to church with your mom if you are fortunate to still have her with you. Even if you are no longer Baptist or Catholic, or have converted to another faith, or you have to rearrange your schedule, or you don't like her pastor, or you like informal music and she likes traditional. Honor your mother--be a blessing and get a blessing. It's the only commandment that includes a promise.

3 comments:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Not much to say but Amen. what's really weird is to be on the line of those who might not be here next time. It is more fun to be going to see those who might not be here.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great photo Norma! Thanks for the reminder to cherish today and make time for those we love.

Joan said...

So true! I am going to hear my Mother preach on Mother's Day. I also went to her church this past Sunday. She is retiring AGAIN in June, so I don't know when I will get to hear her preach again. She is still awesome and inspiring at age 83.