Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


13 things I've learned this week or forgot and had to relearn

  1. Always take your slacks off when sewing a button on the waist band.
  2. Don't eyeball where you think the button should go if you have trifocals.
  3. If you add about l/2 pumpkin puree to your favorite peanut butter pie filling, it tastes and looks about the same and has a lot fewer calories (in my recipe).
  4. If your garage door goes back up after you've pushed the down button when you've pulled the car in, don't push it again; you didn't get the car in far enough.
  5. Home made mashed potatoes taste 50% better than packaged, even with lumps, and at a fraction of the cost.
  6. After a tragedy, the talking heads don't know as much as the investigators and police, so hold off on judgement.
  7. If you weigh exactly what you did 25 years ago, the distribution is very different.
  8. When you volunteer at the food pantry, you'll see some of the same people you saw three months ago. See Matt. 25.
  9. Friday date night at the Bucket is more fun when shared with another couple or two.
  10. When something goes wrong, whether it is pet food, home mortgages or a mentally ill college student, the proposed legislation and regulations done in the heat of the moment will probably be worse, cost more and lay the ground work for future problems.
  11. Loyalty and reward cards whether offered by airlines, retailers, or supermarkets, are like an additional tax--very few benefit, but everyone pays.
  12. If you contact someone in charge of a web page, a library, a church, a network, a party, or a government office, concerning something very urgent and important, you will hear nothing, or get an "I'm out of the office today" reply, or a canned response.
  13. If you drop a line to just let them know, "I'm here and like what you're doing," you'll be their best friend and forever on their mailing list.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful list today. Thank you.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just started the Thirteen Thursday meme. I enjoyed your site.

JAM said...

That first one cracked me up, and I sure needed the laugh. My wife would probably add to that, "and don't try to iron the collar of your shirt while you're wearing it either." Hard lessons.

I'm right there with you on the mashed potatoes (hat tip to Dan Quayle). A few lumps in the potatoes or even gravy adds character. Heck, it might even build character.

MaR said...

Very interesting, list Norma.
If you weigh exactly what you did 25 years ago, the distribution is very different. I can totally relate!
Happy thirteening!

Penny said...

Very good, funny, and TRUE list! Happy TTing on this fine Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Great list! I agree with you 100% home-made mashed potatos are the best....I LOVE them lumpy! :) Have a wonderful week!

RennyBA said...

Great list and a good reminder. I always think home made is the best:-)

Ladybug Crossing said...

Great list... love the weight distribution thing... How true is that?!
LBC

Anonymous said...

Allow me to teach you the 14th thing...
As a part time aspiring rally driver, here is the best advice i have to offer on how to avoid a serious spinal injury should the worst happen when you are driving. As you can imagine, i have the odd accident at work, and my co-pilot told be that if i am seated with my bum right in the corner of seat and my back against the back rest from bum to shoulders (i.e with the spine in an upright, supported position, then should we have a crash, or have to stop suddenly, the damage to my spine will be minimal. I haven't had another accident at work since he told me this, but next time i do i promise to update you guys and let you know how the spine was after!