Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Your census form

The census form for our summer home came before the letter at our permanent residence (tied to the door, not delivered by mail). Most of the owners at Lakeside won't see their form until late May, and it is due April 1. Even the people I know who do claim a permanent residence there are either in Florida or Arizona for 3 months. My husband was there last week-end, so he brought ours home and made an attempt at filling it out; it's impossible since there's no question to reveal that you don't live there. Just answering zero to how many people live there won't do it, folks. I think the same people who write the tax code, the health care bills, and the instructions for the can opener made in China also write the Census forms. My husband then tried the phone number but that was a frustration round robin of multiple choices, that brought him back to the original question. I realize no one has ever really been prosecuted for incorrectly filling out the Census, but now that we have the Chicago Mafia in charge of our census, I suppose that could change, especially if there's a way to gather some fees or pay a clutch of lawyers.

This reminds me of my 2009 $250 Social Security refund check. I don't get Social Security.

No comments: