Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday Thirteen--13 things to be happy about this week


Have you ever seen the book "14,000 things to be happy about" by Barbara Ann Kipfer? I picked up a copy years ago at a used book sale for $1. She says for 20 years she made notes in her journals, beginning in 6th grade, and then compiled the "little things" for this book. So, for awhile I'm going to recall 13 things that made me happy beginning on the previous Friday, March 5.

1) I found a new apple this week, Lady Alice, from Washington state. No one knows where she came from---she just "growed," and since I eat an apple every day I was thrilled to find one to fill in for my favorite, Honey Crisp.

2) We had dinner with our friends Rod and Judi at the Worthington Inn. We enjoy their company, and hadn't been to that restaurant in probably 25 years. It was featured also in this month's Capital Style.

3) It was sunny for days, 53 degrees on Monday, 58 Tuesday, 61 on Wednesday--warm enough to walk the neighborhood. We're so sunlight deprived in central Ohio, that people are almost giddy when the sun is out.

4) On my walks I picked up trash and replaced pieces of sod--both the result of deep snow being removed by the plows. Found a wheel cover and propped it against a wall so it could be seen--then 10 ft. further I found the emblem from the center of the cover and took it back to the cover and attached it.

5) We're in the season of Lent. We're communion servers at our church UALC, which is a wonderful opportunity, and because of mid-week services, we serve more often than usual.

6) Not exactly happy--but I did get a good laugh. My husband had scheduled a "paint out" for an art group which fell on our 50th wedding anniversary. He's president of the group. Yes, we've changed it (the paint out, not the anniversary)!

7) The mallards are in love, mating and chasing each other around our street. Sort of cute, but you do have to be careful--the chase is slow and they aren't afraid of automobiles. Ah love!

8) Had a e-mail from an author I wrote about--Amy Dickinson, of Ask Amy (replaced Ann Landers).

9) A friend is out of the hospital and on the mend. She hates my blog, and now she's in it!

10) I made a delicious dessert this week. Each piece made us happy! Sort of made it up as I went--now if I can only remember. . .

11) While my coffee was heating Monday, I walked around the house and admired our art, many pieces by good friends like Ken, Jeanie, Fritz, Ned, and Jim.

12) Got an early start on next month's book club selection--The Virginian (1902), from which numerous movies and a TV series were made. It's online, but mine is a 45 cent yard sale copy. A classic.

13) The daughter of a teacher at the Haitian school where my husband volunteers was kidnapped for ransom last week. We are beyond happy and thrilled that she has been returned to her family, safe.
------------
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

12 comments:

I am Harriet said...

Our weather has been nice and mild too this week :)


Have a great Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/did-you-know-that-nearly-16-percent-of-the-u-s-population-has-genital-herpes-need-a-plug-in/

Janet said...

such a varied 13!!! First of all, I'm glad the girl that was kidnapped is safe!

On my walks I pick up trash, too...the people who live in my complex are utter slobs who apparently think nothing of tossing out coffee cups, beer bottles, nips and lately, chicken bones, which I am happy to find before my dogs do!

And this morning, I saw some mating behavior from an red winged oriole! Spring!!!

CountryDew said...

Why does your friend hate your blog? I think this is a great blog!

It is always good to think of nice things. Much better than the alternative!

My TT is at http://bluecountrymagic.blogspot.com

Norma said...

Country: She's a liberal.

colleen said...

The doves in my yard are twitterpated! I'm glad about the sun and warmer weather.

Alice Audrey said...

Lady Alice is a great name for an apple.

Irishcoda said...

Reasons to be happy is a terrific idea for a theme. Another blogger pointed me to a social network called Grace in Small Things. It was started by a blogger who began a 365 day challenge on her own blog to list 5 small things to be happy about every day. I've been following along and participating since November and what a difference it's made in my whole outlook! If you're interested please visit Grace in Small Things and check it out. :)

Willa @ FickleMinded said...

lovely weather gave us a happy mood. :)

Anonymous said...

Cool idea for a list! I'm ready for spring here too, it's still cold here. I did 13 of my least favorite foods, my list is here: http://lifes-adventures.net

Cheers!

soleil said...

I love finding things to be happy and grateful for. Thanks for sharing!

Americanising Desi said...

shux shux shux :(

s
a
d
n
e
s
s

f
o
r

m
e

Down Down and Dump

Bev Sykes said...

Good Thursday 13. I'm glad you had so many things to be happy about.