Friday, April 28, 2017

Friday Family Photo--Too many Corbetts

The Mount Morris Index editor, Worthington Thomas, kept track of the town's young men during WWII. From the going away party at his parents' home to his return at Christmas 1945, my father and other soldiers were reported in the town paper. I assume relatives submitted the information. My dad also wrote to Tommy who included his letters in the paper. I found the clippings in the 1990s. I don't know what happened to them.

July 1944
HOWARD CORBETTS TOO NUMEROUS IN CALIFORNIA CAMP

"Many odd situations have been reported by Mount Morris men participating in the present war, but a letter to the Mt. Morris Index from a young Marine located at Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Calif., brings to light one of the most unusual "Believe it or not" stories of them all.
"Dear Sirs: During the past few weeks I have received a few copies of the Mount Morris Index They are addressed to a Pvt. Howard Corbett, 5th Marine Div., Camp Pendleton, T.C. It just so happens that my name is the same, only I am a Pfc. in the 26th Regt., "D" Co., and am from Chicago.

Anyway, my curiosity has been aroused. I would like to know more about the other Howard. Maybe he is in some way related to me. I don't know. But if it isn't too much trouble I would like to know about him.

I joined the Marine Corps in January, 1942. Of these 30 months I have spent 23 overseas. I was a member of Carlson's Raiders and participated in four major battles at Midway, Bougainville and Guadalcanal.

I returned to the United States last February, and as you know, am now at Camp Pendleton. That in short is my life for the last 2 1/2 years and is about what I would like to know about the other Howard. I have sent the papers back to the post office and hope they are being sent on to the right addressee. I would advise your getting his correct address and have him put his middle initial on his record.

Sincerely yours, Howard N. Corbett
The Mount Morris Howard also was located at Camp Pendleton for a time which naturally accounts for the mix-up in mail. However, his present address is Naval Air Station, Marine Brks., Alameda, Calif., and both Howards will get this week's Index, with the suggestion that they write each other and establish their relationship if any."
Dad and Stan in front of our house in Alameda
And the rest of the story: I used the internet to see what had happened to Howard N. Corbett of Chicago, and if I've found the right one, he died in May 2004. After the war in which he was injured he went to college on the GI Bill and became a pharmacist. Howard Corbett Obituary (2004) - Homewood, IL - Daily Southtown (legacy.com)

It appeared from the obituary, that his son Howard, Jr., retired USMC, died a few months later. 

1 comment:

Norma said...

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/daily-southtown/name/howard-corbett-obituary?id=30118818

Corrected link.