Friday, February 03, 2006

2110 Music hath charms

and noise hath harms. If a blog blasts hip hop or rap or even loud Frank Sinatra when I click in, I'm outta there faster than you can say spam blocker. I no longer even look for the tiny script that says, "turns me off."

When I enter a sanctuary and the worship music is vibrating the floor and changing my heart rate, I exit faster than a serious sinner running up the aisle at a camp meeting. When I see people with ear buds dangling and tethered to a torture instrument for ears, I'm reminded I need to do some serious investing in hearing aids.

I heard today on the radio that 350,000,000 downloads of music have pretty much convinced some record stores to close. To my knowledge, this is one industry segment collapse that isn't being blamed on George Bush. A lot of those downloads are sitting on i-Pods where they communicate to the delicate ear parts like a buzz saw or a jet engine.

"There are two ways that noise exposure leads to hearing damage. Brief exposures to extremely loud sounds, like gunfire, can cause permanent damage. But consistent exposure to even moderate-level loud sounds wears out the hair cells in the inner ear, which are responsible for acute hearing abilities. When these cells are damaged by noise exposure -- like a loud concert -- they typically recover after two days of rest. With repeated exposure to loud sounds, however, the hair cells' ability to recover weakens. Eventually the hair cells die, leading to permanent hearing loss."
WSJ Jan. 10, 2006




6 comments:

Bonita said...

Music seems to be a companion anymore - we work with it, ride up in elevators with it, and sleep with it...yup, we use a sound machine here, with the sound of the waves drowning out the noises in the house or outside.

I once stopped going to a particular dentist, because his music was too loud and disturbing. The one I see now, has soft slow, quiet music in the background.

Renee Nefe said...

I listen to www.klove.com (well it's 91.1 on my radio, but you can find the station closest to you or if there isn't a station you can listen online too)

I'm asking for more questions on my blog again
http://lillyput.blogspot.com

You could ask me about my radio or anything else you've always wanted to know.

Krisco said...

Interesting post. I saw something similar in the Albuquerque Journal; they probably nabbed it from the WSJ!!

Pretty scary for hearing in the future...

BTW, I love the title of your site!! Brilliant!

Jane said...

I heard that ipod is being sued for hearing loss. That is the MOST ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If people are too stupid to turn down the volume then it certainly isn's the machine's fault. What happened to personal responsibility??? Amazing!

Norma said...

I think there is more to it (usually is)--maybe a malfunction. But also, I believe they'll eventually discover there is no safe way to have sound piped directly into the ear for a long period of time regardless of volume. Then the law suits will really begin.

And your knees are in the prayer job jar. "Who's this?" "Oh, just some Methodist lady I met on the Internet."

Anonymous said...

Hi, Norma,
I was blessed enough to grow up with 'semi classical' music. So that's put me in the classical camp. I read, work and live by 14c-19c works (Internet radio is a great way). It's so important children learn to like classical music on an informal basis. My family had the chance to 'see' a little musical genius, courtesy of Andre Rieu's TV concert, and I'm convinced musical thinking comes first for many children. But how many (not just the geniuses) ever develop that innnate gift? Are they robbed by ignorance?