Wednesday, April 04, 2007

3651

My new Wal-Mart scoop


Yesterday I bought a long sleeve light-weight t-shirt at the Port Clinton Wal-Mart. It has a scoop neck, and is just about the most poorly made item I've ever found made in China. But at $5, the price was right, and our weather indoors and out is so changeable, I thought the sleeves were a good idea. This morning I put it on with my $1 loden green jeans I bought at a yard sale in 2001. Looked nice. Then I took a second look. You know what? This is the same design as long underwear, I kid you not. Oh well.

Today I saw another "expose" about Wal-Mart scoop. This time about how it investigates threats to its business. In the old days, retailers just sent shopping snoops into the stores of the competition, or restaurants send spy customers into the restaurants of its rivals to check on the menus or even to its own stores to check on quality and service. The stakes are a bit higher now, and being the biggest retailer in the world, saving Americans billions and single handedly financing the governments of third world countries, Wal-Mart gets tough. So here's my poem about the latest Wal-Mart story in the WSJ in which some of its own snoops gave scoops to the media on the inside security poops.

Tell me why
Wal-Mart can't spy
on the workers it pays
to sleuth in ways
to snoop
for its Threat Research and Analysis Group.

1 comment:

JAM said...

The left loves to hate Walmart. Whatever choices they make, it's wrong. They can't make a decision that will please their critics. Their critics despise Walmart's success. I don't understand it, but I sure see how they are hated.

Your talk about your shirt reminded me of something that happened last week. Lovely Wife loves to watch those "Flip This House" type shows. One of them we were watching had a contractor come out and give an estimate on some painting and he had on a gaudy Hawaiian style shirt with yellow sailboats all over it. I happen to have the exact same shirt. I said, "Look, he has my shirt!" "Well, I know one thing about that man, he buys his shirts at Walmart."