Thursday, April 05, 2007

3659

Happy Birthday

Today is my husband's birthday. This is what we looked like when we met in 1959, when I weighed more than he did. I'm wearing a girl friend's formal, which was a bit snug, and he's wearing his grandfather's jacket, which was a bit big.

Armory House Spring Dance, 1959


I see you're still dreaming
there's still so much to do.
Helping and guiding,
painting and traveling.
Isn't it great
to be you.

He's in the process of retiring, but met today with a client who he says is one of the nicest people he's ever worked with, but I think he usually says that. He brings that out in people. Calm, reassuring, and confident. Pretty much the same easy going, quiet, thoughtful guy I met in 1959. He stays busy.

  • Design Review Board at Lakeside
  • member of two Christian men's group that meet weekly for breakfast
  • member of a couple's group at our church, UALC
  • mentors a child at an urban school
  • teaches a drawing class at the senior center and Lakeside in the summer
  • Head of the Visual Arts Ministry at our church
  • handles all the arrangements when we travel
  • communion server at our church
  • usher at our church
  • 15 years teaching VBS children
  • member of a group of watercolorists that meets monthly
  • keeps an active painting schedule--completes about 10 a month
  • member of two community art groups, founder of one, past president of both
  • Condo association president
  • leads a women's aerobics class
  • takes me out to eat every Friday night

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a first for me- posting on a blog. However, if anyone merits a first, you do.
It has been my joy to get to know you and I pray that God will continue to bless you mightily.
Happiness and joy to you!
Bruce

Anonymous said...

This is a first for me also. You look wonderful in your picture from 1959 and since I know you personally I can say that the two of you still look wonderful. Happy belated birthday. I am so glad that the two of you are retired so you can bless so many people with your various activities. Keep up the good work and may God richly bless each of you.
Anne

Anonymous said...

Norma, wishing your husband a Happy Belated Birthday! He sure is a man of merit, with so many accomplishments. The photo and the little poetry is wonderful. Good luck!