Wednesday, April 04, 2007

3650

The Amish Vault

Returning from the lake yesterday, my husband stopped in Bucyrus to take a photo of the mural to use in his perspective drawing class which starts in two weeks. I assured him I already had it, but since the van was parked I hopped out and went across the street to see what the store Amish Vault was all about. Lovely store! Wonderful Amish made furniture, accessories with delightful gift items and artificial flowers with a coffee shop inside. Within 2 minutes I saw it. A headboard for our headless bed. In 1963 we bought a bedroom set, contemporary in oiled walnut, that we still love and wouldn't dream of giving up. But we didn't buy the bed--good thing too, because in those days there was no queen size. About 10 years ago, we bought something, but I really have never liked it. It's impossible to find a match--I haven't seen oiled walnut anything in years, and besides 1960s modern is collectible, but not in fashion. However, elm in a honey sugar stain is close, and mission style will work with modern, so I flagged down my husband who couldn't figure out where I was and he came in and looked. Within another 2 minutes, we'd grabbed the saleswoman and were talking about how we'd get it to Columbus. We've spent more time deciding which gas station will save us five cents a gallon on a ten gallon fill-up.

We made a down payment to hold it, and will come back with our Explorer on our next trip to the lake and hope it fits. The delivery charge was reasonable ($1 a mile) but we're about 60 miles from Bucyrus, so that would be $130 just to deliver it.

The matching dresser and chest had been purchased by someone else--and they didn't want the bed. Forty-three years from now they'll be sorry.

No comments: