Sunday, October 19, 2008

Too pretty to stay inside today

Can't remember if I posted this poem here. Originally wrote it this summer for my other, other blog on retirement after an e-mail from . . . forgotten whom. . . oh well.

    Song of the Other Sister
    by Norma Bruce

    Glucosamine chondroitin
    maybe some ibuprofen
    Viactiv with calcium
    fish oil and Senior Centrum.

    Ohioans need vitamin D,
    build those bones for all to see;
    Stretch and bend, wear socks and shoes,
    Take a walk after the news.

    Breathe deeply now, in and out,
    wave to your friends give a shout,
    life is good we can't complain,
    but we'd settle for less pain.
Thursday evening I asked my husband how much he weighed because I wanted to see if he was "government approved."

"160," he shouted from his lounge chair in the other room.
"Oh, you've never weighed that in your life." I said.
"But I have my check up tomorrow, so we'll find out."
"Are you 5'8"?"
"No, I'm 5'9" same as always."
"Can't be. You're getting shorter." I said.

Turns out he was 156 and 5'9" so I guess we were both half right. Dr. Wulf says he has the body of a 55 year old. Must be all that dancing with the ladies he does (leads an aerobics class and he's the only guy). So now what do I do? I'm married to a younger man. How will I keep up?

No comments: