Saturday, July 09, 2005

1242 The secret is out

CBS Sunday morning show on July 3 featured a small segment on Lakeside. Because so many Lakesiders either didn't know it was going to be on or were in church at Hoover Auditorium, the clip was shown at last night's program. It got lots of laughs and cheers. Kevin, the director, announced the Association has had phone calls and e-mails all week. One Florida woman in her 90s e-mailed him that she had vacationed here as a child and had no idea the community was still here. Six people have contacted him about retiring here (I hope they have a place to go in January and February).

The program last night was Dallas Brass. No one in the group was from Dallas or even Texas, but that's apparently where the group started. They did a wonderful show and got two standing ovations. If you ever get the opportunity to hear them (they perform for a lot of school groups apparently), they are excellent and very audience friendly.



I had a great time this week in the watercolor classes taught by Barbara Cox. After the end of yesterday's session she gave each class member a wonderful print of one of her paintings. My husband is teaching perspective drawing next week, but I see there is a portrait class at the same time--now I'm torn. A knitter is offering 5 or 6 special classes, but I suspect I'm not far enough along. Found out my neighbor Carol is a knitter, so maybe I can get some pointers from her.

The drama group had try-outs for "Our Town" and I've heard they've drawn a wonderful group in to the production. Performances are August 1 and 2. Today is the Lakeside Hotel Rummage Sale at South Auditorium. That's always a great place to go to find other people's cast offs and books (I always find a book). One year I bought a book for a quarter that had a pension update stuck inside for a Civil War veteran. The money goes to Friends of the Hotel to help in their renovation of rooms (the hotel is over 100 years old).



Monday night is the Lakesider Sunset Cruise on Lake Erie. We've got our boarding pass and sweaters. Hope Dennis' tail end is passed by then.

This coming Thursday at 5 p.m. is the sneak preview of the Lakeside Art Show. My husband helped check in paintings yesterday. One really wonderful painting had to be turned down because it was too large. Another is on the ropes--a nude. This is Lakeside, afterall.

No comments: