Thursday, July 28, 2005

1306 Chincoteague ponies

Today is the auction of the ponies that swim from Assateague to Chincoteague, Virginia. Marguerite Henry's books illustrated by Wesley Dennis were my favorite stories when I was a child--I think I read most of them, King of the Wind being my favorite. But Misty is probably her best known. I've written about my fascination with horses earlier.

When I wasn't reading about horses, I was hanging out at the local livestock dealer's barn in Forreston which was within walking distance of my home. Charlie was probably about 57 and Raymond was the same age as my dad, maybe 37 or 38. They gave me free rein of the barn. I'd go there after school or on week-ends, let myself in, climb over the stall and sit on the horses. Sometimes I'd just go in the stall and curry the horse. I was always there to see the new animals brought in--but they weren't pets or for leisure--buying and selling was their business. This part I didn't really understand as a kid. Oh sure, sell a steer or bull, but a horse? Sometimes Ray would like a particular horse and keep it for awhile, but my equine friends would be on their way when a profit was to be made.

It didn't seem to worry me that I was playing in stalls with huge animals (I was about 10 years old). Little girls who are crazy about horses must have guardian angels.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I read the Marguerite Henry books too. My favorite was "An Album of Horses"...see I've always prefered non-fiction.

I agree about the little girls and horses and their guardian angels. My mom used to do the same thing...sit on the horses in their stalls. My Grandpa forbid her to ride them until he trained them. By the time the horse was ready, my mom had already "gentled" him for riding.

Our family went to a horse show this weekend and a rodeo at the county fair on Wed. My 8 year old asked if they sold horses. She thought maybe we could get one and just put up a fence around our yard! (We only have a total of 3 acres!

Susan said...

I enjoyed your writings about horses. I went through the same stuff. I couldn't draw for anything, but I regularly begged my mom to draw me a horse...she had a better knowledge of horses first-hand. (I grew up in the suburbs...the only horses in my city belonged to Greenfield Village!)

My daughter has a friend that draws horses all of the time, too. I'm glad my girl has her friend, because I still can't draw...but I've crossed-stitched a zillion horses!