Thursday, July 28, 2005

1305 Why your boss should monitor your computer use

Because I'm paying for it. Whether you work for the government, a plumber, retailer, wholesaler, big pharm, automotive, divorce lawyers or in academe, somewhere down the line I, the taxpayer and consumer and stock owner, pay. If you are surfing the internet or playing games or posting to a chat room, you're costing me money. I'll excuse you if you are self-employed or home schooling. You I won't scold if you want to read your e-mail at 10:45 a.m. or blog when the kids nap. But the rest of you, North Baltimore, South Toledo, Juneau or over the Rhine , get back to work.

2 comments:

American Daughter said...

Good for you. Couldn't have said it better myself. Where has the American work ethic gone?

Feed Fido said...

Professionals don't punch a time clock- we're paid to produce a product I say if I can get it done in 4hrs. the rest is mine. Gasp. And today many employers think nothing of putting pagers on everyone, as if no time is actually free and clearly our own. Why does it matter if I checkout eBay on occasion? Or read "Collecting my Thoughts" ? ! If we get the job done, that is what should count. And yes I think folks should perform to their capacity, and I do, but truth be told folks don't want creativity or ingenuity as a boss once told me: it causes work. And just surfing around I have discovered new tools and resources I use on the job. Leisurely activities have always happened on the job, were not drones. I say judge the work done, not the time it takes.