Monday, July 04, 2005

1220 July Fourth 2005 at the Lake

Did you see the feature on Lakeside on yesterday's CBS Morning show (9-10:30 EDT)? It was the last 5 minutes. We rushed home after communion to turn on the TV and of course, sat through all the other summer time clips on skateboarding, hot dogs, and hunting for relatives in the islands off of Italy. I think the Lakeside story was cut to make room for the Luther Vandross bio (died last week). Even though it showed almost none of the lovely sights, it did get the ambiance right, featuring the friendliness and trust of the community.

My husband then craved hot dogs all morning, so he took off on his bike and went to the little grocery store right outside the gates and fixed himself a hot dog for lunch. One. He is the most disciplined person I know.


This morning is the parade. Every little kid decorates a bike, and grandparents decorate their golf carts. A neighboring school district will probably send in a band, and there will be a few clowns. The Guys Club will march--that's a group of men who do nothing and I think their motto is something like "can it wait." This morning I saw someone flying a kite off the dock with a tiny US flag appended.

When I was walking through the park this morning with my coffee on the way to the lake, I saw a grandpa shooting baskets with his two little grandsons (at least I hope they were not sons), one about 2, the other maybe 4. Grandpa didn't give them any breaks either. Also, I don't think he made any points, but it was the cutest thing to watch.

No comments: