Friday, July 07, 2006

2674 The well-dressed librarian (retired)

Here's the fashion plan for the trip to Finland and Russia: black, cream/khaki and white. Boring but easy. No one will accuse me of being a fashionable, stuck up American tourist (although they might guess my career track). I ran into K-Mart this morning and picked up a few things--I mean, summer stuff is on sale. If it shrinks or rips, I can always crochet a rug like Mom did (lol--that'll be the day).

I bought a little black dress, probably too little, it is an 8 and it's been 20 lbs since I wore an 8. Folded for travel, it is about the size of a farmer's hankie. I bought a swim suit--a style that I swear I haven't seen since the 50s. 50% off and 50% more coverage than most suits. It might be my ticket into the sauna. I do not do naked. I used to belong to a health spa when I was in my 20s and was shocked to see what 45 year old women looked like. Now I'm 20 years the other side of awful! It's also a size or two too small, but K-Mart is providing mirrors that make you look slimmer instead of like you're at the carnival fun house.

I don't have time to do my usual watercolor sketch, but here's the general plan for the suitcase. For the plane trip (very long) it will be the loosest black slacks, a coral t-shirt, a cream jacket with generous pockets, and coral print scarf. I'm so pale, coral looks good on me.


This trip will be quite international. Most of these clothes were made in China and Mexico, however, in looking over the tags, I also saw Costa Rica, Lesotho, Australia, Ukraine, Vietnam, El Salvado, Cambodia and Bangladesh. Hey, better there than here if workers are being shipped in containers to work in sweatshops or coyoted across the border. Trade agreements will keep potential illegals in their home countries (instead of joining labor unions here and becoming democrats). If they are going to take American jobs, better to do it there.

1 comment:

WDL said...

happy retirement & thanks contextulizing me into the library vernacular.