Monday, July 03, 2006

Kathleen Denis, artist

It's new notebook time--I filled the last page of my lovely notebook with pink roses and calligraphy, and today I'll start one from Martin Designs of Ashland, OH with artwork by Kathleen Denis. The webpage doesn't seem to function but I found her name with numerous gift items and wallpaper. The calligraphic background of this notebook is a verse from "Amazing Grace."

Ashland, OH is the home of the Brethren Church, sister denomination of Church of the Brethren. The two anabaptist groups had a spat about the meaning of "being in order" and split in the 1880s from each other and the Old Order German Baptist Brethren. The college/university in Ashland has some interesting archives for all Brethren groups which I have used in my own research. A lovely town.

Update: Columbus Business First: Martin Designs went out of business in 2008 after a line of Chinese-made SpongeBob SquarePants notebooks it was selling was recalled because the spiral binding contained high levels of lead.



No comments: