Tuesday, July 25, 2006

2690 Less Stress Chickens meet the same fate

One of the things I can’t resist (I should save this for a TT) is trying a new and interesting product--especially if it is at Trader Joe’s, which I consider a responsible chain for health, nutrition and price. So today I picked up Chicken Sausage mixed with fresh spinach and feta cheese (Han’s All Natural, Olympus brand). It has no antibiotics and no nitrates, and is “minimally processed” with no artificial ingredients. If you’re really picky, I’ll note that it has pork casing, and everything else on the label you can read without a chemistry degree.

Anyway, I thought of Murray, from my hometown, who left a little story in my comments a few weeks ago about rescuing baby chicks from the local hatchery years ago when he was a child. They had been thrown out live into the trash can because of various imperfections. The chicken (sausage) I’m about to eat for lunch has been raised in a low stress, environmentally focused practice, and ate an all vegetable diet (don’t chickens eat bugs if they are free-range and happy?). But like Murray’s little peeps that survived to grow up to be halt and lame, but happy, their fate was the same. Low stress or not, it's a chicken's life.

1 comment:

Renee Nefe said...

Maybe they come up from behind the chicken, so it never knows what hit it?
I dunno. I explain it to DD that some animals were made to be food. It's like the line from the movie "Babe" when the cat is talking to Babe about his purpose. But I have to laugh at the cat's purpose.