Thursday, July 06, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

13 Things I wouldn't know if I didn't read the Black Swamp Trader and Gazette.

There are a lot of local festivals in small towns in the Firelands area of Ohio. Some areas of Ohio used to belong to Connecticut, and during the American Revolution, British troops destroyed property along the sea coast of Connecticut. In order to repay colonists for their losses, Connecticut gave these colonists 500,000 acres of land. These were called the "Firelands" and were set aside at the western end of the Western Reserve. This newspaper serves some of these small communities as a "free circ."

1. Mondays are grandparent days at the President Hayes Center in Fremont, OH.
2. Bowling Green is having a classic car show on Main Street July 8.
3. Grand Rapids, OH is having Rally Days, July 8-9.
4. Pemberville, OH is having a German Christmas on July 8, and a cruising night on July 6.
5. Genoa, OH is having a classic car and truck cruise-in every Wednesday.
6. Mansfield, OH and Richland County are having Fall Foliage Festivals--there are several--and you can visit Malabar Farms where Bogie and Bacall were married.
7. Marblehead, OH had its 7th Annual Ice Cream Social on July 1.
8. Norwalk, OH is having a classic car show with live radio broadcast every Thursday through August!
9. There will be a Dutchtown Hatchery Festival in New Washington, OH on July 7-8.
10. Milan, OH is having a Food and Wine Celebration with 20 renowned chefs on the grounds of The Culinary Vegetable Institute on July 15. On Tuesday nights, all the cruisers will be in Milan.
11. Berlin Heights, OH is having its 2nd Annual Marble Tournament on August 6.
12. Fostoria, OH is having a Fostorial Glass and Heritage Festival on July 14-15.
13. The 2nd Annual Lincoln Highway Yard Sale (through Ohio and Indiana) is noted for Bucyrus, OH, August 10-12 and stretches for 250 miles. Bucyrus Bratwurst Festival is August 17-19 (don't try to drive through Bucyrus on those days unless you want to eat).

Since I've only been to Marblehead, Bucyrus, Milan, and Mansfield, I can't guarantee these are all fabulous places to visit (or even that they are all "Firelands"), but there are small town festivals and events everywhere which support local history and merchants. Visit one in your area this summer.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!

11 comments:

Natsthename said...

I love the Brats in Bucyrus!!

Not to forget THE OHIO STATE FAIR in Columbus in late summer!!

One Scrappy Gal said...

It's a small world! My husband is from Ohio too!

Anonymous said...

I love those kind of papers- I always 'think' I'll do some of that, and never do. hmph. have a great thursday!

Lyn said...

LoL...great reads those papers! My T13 is up - Super Hero Edition.

Meira{FB} said...

Sounds like good reasons to keep reading to me!

Happy TT

MaR said...

what a fun TT, sorry I will not be in the area :(
Happy TT!

Unknown said...

Christmas in July. Sounds like fun to me. Wish i was there! :P
Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

WOW now you know more....im glad that you read those papers!

Happy TT, mine is up!

Carmen said...

I love that there's a Culinary Vegitable Institute! Though not liking veggies, I wouldn't know that such a thing existed.

Anonymous said...

You can never have enough input.. and I think the Grandparents day sounds great! Why don't they have one of those over here.. hmm

Thnx for visiting my T13

Mandy

Barbara said...

Would be great to be near and take in at least the glass shows! Great list.

Come over my way and read my first 13
http://tidbitsandtreasures.blogspot.com/2006/07/tidbits-of-my-life-today.html