Sunday, February 03, 2008

Monday Memories--When time ground to a halt

Last week my hairdresser, just making conversation while she made me presentable for another 7 weeks, said, "And what have you been doing lately," an easy question, but time whirls past so quickly I was just speechless (yes, it does happen). Then another friend asked the same question on Friday, and again I had the feeling I'd just stepped out of a hurricane--not because I'm busy (I'm never busy), but because time just seems to go by with storm speed. And when it doesn't, it's not a good sign.

You've probably all experienced a moment, minute, hour when time, instead of rushing by, seemed to slow down, or even move backwards. Maybe it was a fall from a ladder that seemed to last forever, as the ankle turns and the fingers slip and you go down, down, down; or you're in the hospital at mother's final illness, and every breath seemed an hour; or your husband / lover / boyfriend tells you over a cup of coffee in the kitchen that he has fallen in love with someone else and all you can process is the stain the cup makes on the placemat because you don't want to know the next minute and what he will say.

And that's all the further I got with this memory of my daughter's auto accident in 1988. I could feel that icky, sticky feeling in my throat and the beginnings of A-fib, and decided, it wasn't worth a blog. So, you can fill in the blanks here with your own time-slowing-down-story. Everybody has one.

No comments: