Thursday, February 14, 2008

A special valentine for you

I don't think I could say it any better than Emerald Eyes has--a list of favorite love songs, mature thoughts about love, and memories of grandparents. Go for it.

And then from me, a scan of one of my mother's valentines, from Billy Smith, a school mate at Pine View School, I assume. This is probably from the early 1920s and was embossed paper with cut edges, "Whitney Made Worcester, Mass." The inside message with a line drawing of a little boy swinging on a fence reads:
    I love you little
    Valentine,
    But I am very shy,
    And if you think
    you could be kind,
    Please smile as you
    pass by.




Pineview School, Lee County, Illinois, Mother is 2nd from the left, front row

The little girl third from the right in the back row is Arlene Beachley David, one of my mother's closest friends. I just looked her up and saw on the Manchester College website that she died January 2, 2006. She married later in life and never had children (I attended her wedding), but I talked to her on the phone maybe in 2003, and she was living with her deceased husband's niece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gel(Emerald Eyes)
Hi Norma,
I'm blushing in direct colorful contrast to my emerald eyes.It was a surprise valentine present to read your words of praise for my post Thank you! Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

To see this handmade creation is pure delight. I hunger to gently touch it. Plus, reading the interesting history behind your treasured photo melts my heart. Hope you stop by again. I'll be back.

(Grrr; Blogger is not letting me use the open ID today, so I coded in my link at the top of the comment. Hopefully, it's because they're inundated with Valentine wishes on folks' blogs.)