Sunday, February 10, 2008

When you absolutely, positively have to have a salty chip snack

Heat some vegetable oil--maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch in a small sauce pan. Cut up a corn tortilla (I use Azteca) into strips (scissors work better than a knife) and drop them into the oil for a few minutes, watching carefully. When they start to darken just a bit to a golden color, remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle salt. Enjoy, but wait a few seconds or you'll burn your tongue. Tip: like pancakes, the first batch isn't very good--don't know what that principle is called, but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th should be just fine. One day I was helping with lunch at church during advent and we made these to go with bean soup. I thought it might come in handy for an emergency snack attack. I've tried this with flour tortillas and sprinkled with sugar/cinnamon, and that's yummy too, but I rarely crave anything sweet.

1 comment:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

This sounds good. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing.