Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Does anyone who speaks English know what this means?

"Differential access to and ability to use communication technologies creates potentially disenfranchising knowledge gaps."

I'm guessing it means someone at the local level wants federal government money to teach kids to use computers, but only if the kids are poor or minority. What's your guess?

"Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2) investigates and pursues innovative solutions for curation issues of organizing, facilitating access to, archiving for and preserving research data and data sets in complex environments."

Someone was enamored with the first Star Wars character, R2D2. "Facilitate" is one of the squishiest words in the English language. Very useful--stretches, morphs, expands into total worthlessness. My good spell checker burped at "curation."

"Beginning April 1, 2008, The Frank Gates Companies/Attenta will become Avizent™."

I remember when Lutheran Brotherhood (fraternal insurance company) became Thrivent--a made up name. Acronyms are one thing, like JAMA or OCLC, but "designer names" that sound like pharmaceuticals are just irritating. I would rather do business with a Frank Gates than an Avizent, which sounds like a med for an STD.

I love words, especially in English, and I hate to see them abused and kicked to the curb.

Wine vocabulary;
men and women use different vocabulary;
teen-speak ;
ingredients lists;
Latinized vocabulary
using must, may and might
adverbosity
sheep

2 comments:

JAM said...

The whole issue you describe here is a hot button issue in me. I say in me, because I rarely complain about it, but buzz words sound so stupid to me.

I gravitate toward plain spoken language and I usually imagine someone making $75K a year to intentionally come up with that kind of grandiose talk for their company.

You found some real gems here though, that first one is almost a tongue twister too.

Anonymous said...

The bigger issue is that Avizent is a trading name already in the UK where it is registered as a company and owns the avizent.com domain, the avizent.eu name etc. I am the owner of that name. They ar etrying to steal nmy company name and ride over me roughshod as a small business.