Sunday, December 13, 2009

Getting a jump on New Year's Resolutions

Eat less, move more, don't smoke. Works for everyone. It was settled long ago--even our mothers and grandmothers knew this. But it's still good for a research grant.

"Combined impact of lifestyle factors on mortality: prospective cohort study in US women." Rob M van Dam and others. (Harvard School of Public Health) BMJ 2008;337:a1440 Free access to entire article.

If it's too cold to walk outside, walk in the halls and stairwells or the mall. And don't you believe that old myth that it's too expensive to eat healthy. It costs far less to take some fresh fruit to work, or warm up a few veggies in the microwave than to eat a loaded ciabatta bread with chips.

Now, if I could just take my own advice. . .

1 comment:

Kim Simpson said...

Hi Norma - I read your columns periodically and fine them to be interesing. I love your resolutions. Healthy eating is on my list again this year along with regular exercise. I totally agree that you can eat health (fruits and veggies, etc.) far cheaper than fast food or restaurants. I resolved this year to 'eat out' less and stuck to it. I did treat myself periodically, but it was the exception rather than the norm. Happy Holidays To You.
Kim Simpson
IResolveTo.Com