Thursday, December 24, 2009

Google’s PageRank

I was using the command, "link:collectingmythoughts," and came across Who links to me site and it reported that my Google PageRank was 6. So I looked that up. It doesn’t get its name from “page,” as I thought, but the surname of one of the founders of Google, Larry Page. It‘s been patented and sold to Stanford University for stock worth many millions, but Google gets to use it. I glanced through the formula/algorithms, but I'm math challenged.

“PageRank is an independent measure of Google’s perception of the quality/authority/credibility of an individual web page. It does not depend on any particular search phrase. For the public (you and me), Google conveniently reports this as a number from 0-10 (10 being the best).”

Well, that’s nice, I guess. Six is better than five or four. Given all the webpages out there, it's nice to know I rank that high. Probably nicer if I were selling something. Anyway, if I ever ask you to be a guest blogger, don't mess up my ranking.

1 comment:

Richard | RichardShelmerdine.com said...

Basically pagerank of 6 means a lot of sites with a PR of 6-8 are linking to you. If they are linking with the term 'cheese' for example, you will rank high in Google results for the term Cheese. When you give a link out and have all of this "cheese link juice" you will be able to give a lot of link juice to other sites.