Saturday, December 26, 2009

J.R. Watkins Lemon Cream

At Hokulea's blog, Christmas cancelled, she writes about trying to help customers whose orders have expired. Although I don't understand the procedures or what she does, it sounds like sometimes you can get a caring, kind representative like Hoku at a large company. And it doesn't hurt that she has a very specialized skill (makes jewelry) and knew what to do to expedite a ring. So here's my try--again--to get a cream I like that has been discontinued, only I wrote a paper letter and put it in an envelope with a first class stamp, and hope I get a Hokulea clone:
    Dear J. R. Watkins Customer Service, I apparently sent my daughter on a wild goose chase when I asked for your Shea Butter Lemon Cream in a jar (4.6 oz.). This product no longer is available, anywhere, either from your sales staff or local stores like Walgreens. So she purchased Shea Butter Body Cream in a tube (3.3 oz.) which the web site more or less said was the same thing. It isn’t. Read the label. I know ingredients are listed in order of quantity, and although many are the same in the two products, many are different in quantity and type. The first five of the jar product are water, shea butter, glycerol stearate, PEG-100 stearate, and steric acid. The first five in the tube are water, shea butter, glycerol stearate, steric acid and cetearyl alcohol. Both lists are followed by Macadamia seed oil. Both PEG-100 stearate and cetearyl alcohol are an emollient, an emulsifier, and a moisturizer, and the cetearyl alcohol is also an opacifier and a thickener. That’s the difference I see on the label, and probably makes the tube product work. But I don’t like tube products--too much of the product is left inside the tube, plus I just like the jar product. You don’t mention on the label that it is a moisturizer for the face, but I use it on my face, and it doesn’t interact with my cosmetics. Do you still have some in the vault of discontinued products that I could buy? I’m 70, and not to give you a sob story, but I think my skin looks fine for my age, and I don’t want to try something new. Please check around for me, and get back to me soon--I only have 2.5 jars left (plus 2 tubes). The lavender is OK, but I love the Lemon Cream.
Update: Here's something I wouldn't have thought of when thinking Watkins--an architectural tour.

Update 2: I now have 3 more jars of Lemon Cream Shea Butter sent to me by Lynne at Seasons for Success. Excellent service!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

On eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Watkins-Natural-Nourishing-Night-Cream_W0QQitemZ390134510620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkin_Care_test?hash=item5ad5d4341c#ht_500wt_956????

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

Thanks for the hat tip I sold Avon for over 20 years and usually at a distribution center or at the main office they know where to get ahold of such products. If enough people want it they will bring it back too

Norma said...

Watkins (Winona) rep says the product is discontinued and sold out. But a rep on-line says she can get it for me, so we'll see. With shipping and the increased price tag I'll be paying considerably more than when I stocked up a few years ago.

Lynne said...

I was happy I could help you find Lemon Cream Shea Butter in a jar! Thanks for the mention in your blog.

Mitch said...

I don't suppose you folks know of anyone else still selling the lemon cream shea butter? I cannot find it anywhere and it is my wife's favorite. Any idea of JR will start selling it again or is it gone for good?

Norma said...

I've e-mailed you about Lynne at http://seasonsforsuccess.com/

She was able to get it for me.

Suzan Mosbey said...

It's really good to invest on quality skincare products, don't you think? I know that the first humans were able to walk the earth without applying lotion with SPF or using a night cream before they sleep, but everything has changed since then. We now have different and more special needs, and that's why beauty products have become such a necessity. I also like reading comparisons of skincare products, like this one (between a jar and a tube product). It pays to be practical these days.

kathoderayblue said...

Hi, I have been doing a search for this product too!! There's really nothing like it. You can get it on ebay, but it's too expensive for me. Here's the link the the "Buy it Now" auction, if you get it in time, there's 2 available:
http://cgi.ebay.com/J-R-WATKINS-ALL-NATURAL-SHEA-BUTTER-LEMON-CREAM_W0QQitemZ390301352067QQcategoryZ166718QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8071768424850119385#ht_2614wt_1140
I'm so sorry they've stopped making this product. There's really nothing like it. I'm looking into a product from this company, but I don't know yet how to get it in the states:
http://kahangi-estate.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=27

Unknown said...

It's great when you find the product that suits your physical needs. Ms. Norma looks so contented with the product, and that is a good sign that it is effective. A smooth, healthy skin gives you an advantage over other people, when it comes to aesthetic appeal.

[Tobi Fistcher]

Mitch said...

It really was a great product... I can still get the stuff in the tubes for my wife which she uses but it is not as thick as the other was, and I don't believe it works as well.

I wonder why they stopped it?

Anonymous said...

I, too love the cream in a jar and not the tube. It's not the same. I'm completely out of my "stockpile" and looking desparately for more. I'll check out seasonsforsuccess but can't pay a fortune for it. Unfortunate they stopped making such a great product, I'm allergic to fragrances and for some reason this one doesn't bother me, so for once I was able to use beauty products with a nice smell.