Friday, March 08, 2019

Jim tells a familiar story about Democrat friends

At Walkaway on Facebook, Jim wrote: “My best friend has always been a Democrat. We have enjoyed many spirited debates over coffee or beers. In truth they have been more interesting because of our difference in opinion.

I'm a libertarian because of my political persuasion I have often exposed myself to both sides. In the run-up to the 2016 election it became more and more obvious that major news outlets no longer pretended to be impartial. Major headlines read more like something that should have been in the op-ed section.

During a visit home shortly after Trump won the election it had become obvious that politics was becoming a subject we would intentionally avoid. There seemed to be no reason to engage in such conversation. After all I listen to NPR and watched MSNBC and CNN. It was clear that his opinion was whatever the latest talking point happened to be. No independent gathering of facts or questioning of the information presented to him.

I voiced to him my concerns about the effects such propaganda in the media. His reply was something to the effect that you could "lock him in a room with Fox News for as long as you wanted and he would still be a liberal". It was clear that no matter how I presented the information he either was unable to or unwilling to see the truth.

Sadly since then our contact has dwindled away to almost non-existent. As I'm sure you've heard multiple stories similar to this one with family and friends.

It appears as though the propaganda media for the Democratic Party has done a good job of convincing otherwise intelligent people that anyone that disagrees with the current position of the Democratic Party is in some way immoral.(racist, homophobic, bigot, sexist, misogynist, xenophobic, and wealth hoarding Sadist).

I don't know how we can break this on the large-scale but you have my full support.

I walk with you Jim.”

1 comment:

Sue said...

I am 66 years old. This is exactly what happened to me and my 2 best friends of 30 plus years. Politics and religion destroyed our friendship. I haven't spoken to either of them...they haven't spoken to me... since my husband's funeral in 2016, and we had long parted ways even before that.

Sad...