Wednesday, January 12, 2005

720 Stage IV Pink and Black

Joanne Jacob's education blog mentions the death of Charter Schools advocate Sue Bragato who died January 5, 2005 at 47 from metastisized breast cancer at home with family and friends. Sue put up a web page about her disease to which others contributed.

Susan Andrews tells her story at Sue's site, a story of being shuffled around going from nothing to stage IV (terminal) in a matter of months.

"Can you believe that 15 months after my last mammogram, I was diagnosed with stage IV. Most of you didn't even know there are stages. There is 0- IV. My stage is terminal. Nobody talks about this stage. I'm on an internet support group of stage IV ladies. We lose our friends all the time and the last one we lost was 42, she lived 2yrs after her diagnosis. Some in our group were first diagnosed at early stages and then after a few months or years were restaged at IV. I believe our youngest member is 33.

So how did the American Cancer Society come up with the age 40 for yearly mammograms? We want people to be aware of these things about breast cancer. We are trying to start a campaign for Pink & Black ribbons. The public makes Breast Cancer out to be all fuzzy, pink and cute. There is nothing cute about nausea and vomiting. I got some of the meanest stares at my bald head that I couldn't hide well enough with most hats. Our real situation is mostly unknown by the public. Most people think that after chemotherapy is done, you're cured. Hello, there IS NO CURE." Susan Andrews

Maureen, who found a lump and was told her pain was from an infected cyst, writes:

"The following week when I went back the cyst was gone but the pain wasn't, she than ordered a mammogram since the pain wasn't as bad as the week before. It just showed increased density and to keep an eye on it. My doctor than sent me to a Breast Surgeon who had me have another Ultrasound which now said that the cyst was gone but breast tissue in the subareolar region looked suspicious and recommended a biopsy, which they did and found out I had " Invasive Carcinoma with Lobular and Ductal Features". I pretty much figured I had cancer by than but since I had been so careful with my health and since I felt they caught it in time I was sure it would be maybe a stage 1 and they would just have to do a lumpectomy. After my dx they ordered a Cat and Bone Scan and then I went back to my surgeon who told me there would be No surgery because it had already metastasized to the bones. Since my mother-in-law had died of breast cancer I knew about metastases." Maureen Moore

Ladies, we're not making huge progress against this disease--they are just finding it earlier, finding lumps that may have never been a problem. But when you or the technology find something, don't take "it's probably just a . . . fill in the blank [fibroid, hematoma, a swollen lymph node, infected cyst]. Don't accept, "We'll keep an eye on it," or "Don't worry about it," even if it makes you feel good. They remove and biopsy moles that change color and grow; they remove and biopsy polyps in the colon as soon as they are found; they needle-biopsy lumps in the neck. Get that lump to the lab!

No comments: