Thursday, January 06, 2005

695 Do banks send e-mail?

One of my e-mail addresses--from OSU--is nothing but a spam dump (don't ever use my bruce dot six address). I must get 30-40 spam a day. I missed a message from my bookclub last week because I was slogging my way through 3,000 spam + 10 messages using delete and probably missed it. Because the OSU e-mail address was used with so many listservs, and they are archived on the internet (isn't it wonderful to be able to go back and read the off hand, stupid remarks you made in 1996?), that address is easy pickens. Other universities have managed to corral that problem, but not OSU.

Yesterday there was an "e-mail" from "my" bank, so of course I deleted it without opening. Maddie Dog has a warning posted at the blog Where's your Brain:

"WARNING: I see that people are still clicking on email links that appear to be from banks or the like. DON'T do it! No bank will ever tell you to click their links in an email and submit passwords or user names. If in doubt, open a new browser and go to your bank directly. Delete all such emails no matter how official they may look!"

No comments: