Sunday, January 16, 2005

732 Read the labels for an education

Do you suppose the nerdy/artsy/fartsy types who design and edit webpages really do have a sense of humor? This little blurb just delighted me:

Prunes, or "dried plums" as growers now prefer to call them, have long been the butt of jokes.

About dried plums
When I stopped laughing I got down to the serious content of this blog--information contained in labeling.

This week I bought a package of Sunsweet "gold label" Lemon Essence Dried Plums in a foil, resealable bag. They are truly delicious.


However, the nutrition information of the label is really interesting. A serving size is 1.5 oz (7 dried plums), so I'm guessing 5 would be about an ounce. According to the package, an ounce of dried plums (5) has 16 times the antioxidants of an ounce of banana; 8 times the potassium of an ounce of apple; 6 times the B vitamins in an ounce of orange; 83 times the vitamin K in an ounce of banana (obviously not a good source of vit. K) and 5 times of fiber of an ounce of apple. I don't know about you, but 5 dried plums is plenty, but I've never eaten just an ounce of apple--I want the whole thing--same with a banana or an orange. I mean, did God outdo himself with the lowly little plum, or what?

Not only that, but the label says the dried plums will fit my active life style! They will go in my briefcase or purse and never bruise like an apple, they are always in season since they are dried, and always ready to eat. WOW! Plus, you can go to www.AmazingSunsweetTestimonials.com and read, well, amazing testimonials about prunes--I mean dried plums.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Prunes are yummy! (Never tried the lemon ones, though.)