Monday, January 31, 2005

781 Grocery day soup

Last week it was bread pudding. This week it is broccoli soup. This nutritous meal only needs 4 basic ingredients. When I started to put the fresh vegetables and fruit away today I discovered some tired and old has-beens in the drawer. A huge broccoli bunch was turning yellowish; would go nicely with some taters in the basement growing white beards and getting soft. I always keep chicken broth on hand, so into the pot went the broccoli, potatoes and broth.

It doesn't seem to make much difference how much of what is used. The potatoes are the thickening, so you can use 2 or 6--just depends on what you have on hand. Cook the sliced stems of the broccoli with the potatoes chunks and throw the florets in for the last few minutes. (If you have an onion, that's good too.) Then swirl it all in the blender. If you have half 'n half on hand, that gives it a nice flavor, but canned milk or regular milk will work--just won't be as thick.

This recipe from the Idaho Potato Commission indicates you can also use potato flakes, dry milk and frozen broccoli. I'd rather use up what I have.

Last week, I remembered Mom with the bread pudding. This week with the soup, it is Dad. "Baby, don't you want to put on an apron?" (And he was right, as usual, and my white sweater has a few green spots.)

1 comment:

Twylah said...

I'll make it Thursday night. Tusen takk.