Sunday, January 02, 2005

684 New Link on my List

Most of the bloggers I link to, I've never met in person. Many are librarians, many are writers, many are Christians. Some are all three. I am adding "Siouxlander" who is a Professor of English and a writer and a Christian. I've written about him before, and have actually seen him, having attended a presentation he gave in April at the Festival of Faith and Writing at Calvin College. At that time, I wrote:

"James Calvin Schaap (pronounced SKOP) was chosen because I got lost and couldn’t find the presentation I had marked. (Lovely campus; horrible signage) What a wonderful serendipity. He is a professor of English at Dordt College in Iowa and explained how he used ideas from his career as a journalist to be fleshed out in his fiction. If you are homesick for Iowa (or any of those flatter Midwestern states) we were treated to a 12 minute CD of his photography called “Chasing the Dawn; a Meditation,” which I think is available through Dordt College Press.

Notes for writers: “Great stories are in your neighborhood--use experience and imagination.” Notes about life: He is currently writing a book about Laotian Christians, relocated in the USA. Working through a translator, he interviewed a Laotian woman about her job in an Iowa meat packing plant, a job he thought too terrible to even imagine. She told him she loved her job because, “In Thailand I had to butcher the entire cow.”

I quoted him again at my other, other blog, Church of the Acronym for his comments on Christian fiction, an essay that was on his department homepage. Now he has started his own blog, and if you enjoy Ariel (AJ), I think you'll like Jim.

1 comment:

J. C. Schaap said...

Thanks for the note, Norma. What you failed to say was that it was at your prompting and only with your valuable instruction that I entered this blogging world. So, to you especially, thanks! Blessings--Jim