Tuesday, January 04, 2005

689 What resolutions have you kept?

Sure, I'm resolving to lose the extra weight; to keep the counters clean; to attend all the classes that looked good in December for 2005. But I can look back on the year (forgotten which one) I made two resolutions, and have kept them both. I think it was about 25+ years ago.

I realized I was wasting 20-30 minutes a day looking for my keys. I resolved to always put my keys in the same zippered pocket of my purse instead of dropping them into the black hole (my children were small so the purse was large). I was losing 10,950 minutes a year--almost 183 hours! Just looking for my keys (numerous times during the day). That resolution has added 6 months to my life so far.

That same year I also resolved to stop biting my fingernails. That took a bit of effort, but I did it, and eventually over the years, they even returned to a normal shape. Also, it is just plain disgusting to watch, and now I'm like a reformed drinker or smoker and want to slap the hand away from the face when I see someone cannibalizing their fingers.

Nail Update: Right after keying this, I must have smacked the keyboard with too much pride and satisfaction, because the middle-finger, left hand nail split and broke off. However, experience has taught me to always have a nail file near by, so I wasn't even tempted to nibble.

1 comment:

Norma said...

I don't remember exactly, but I think I spent a lot of time (and a little money) on hand care. I'd manicure during TV shows, or wash my hands, put on lotion and then gloves before sitting down to read. Nail biting is usually a habit done when not active. I also started using nail polish. It flakes and doesn't taste too good. The texture on the tongue is also a reminder you've just done something really stupid.

I know I've seen similar routines with weight loss (never worked for me), about elaborate teeth cleaning routines so that you replace the snacking habit with a hygiene habit and then don't want to undo the clean mouth.