Friday, January 14, 2005

729 More wine words

Some weeks ago I wrote about the lovely descriptive vocabulary of wine connoisseurs. Last night, in keeping with my New Year's resolution to try to eat better using the government's new guidelines, I served grilled salmon, braised cabbage lightly buttered and salted, 1/6 of a cantaloupe with white grapes, sugar-free lemon pie with a cranberry/orange sauce, and a Pink Catawba wine (ca. $4.00 a bottle). I thought it was the best wine I'd ever had, and you can't beat the price. The pie was great, too.

In today's WSJ, the wine reviewer really outdid himself with a vocabulary to describe the $60/bottle wine (forgotten the name since as you can see, I don't buy expensive wine).

majestic
touches our soul
big, muscular
lemony acidity
rich earthiness
tastes brick red
tightly wound
complex and explosive
depth
lovely and complete
rose petals and finesse
hard as a rock
dry finish
massive, tough
soulful
intense and haunting
vibrant
bountiful


Sounds like it could be the manuscript for Paula's romance novel, instead of a bottle of wine, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Paula said...

That *is* my novel, except you forgot "impudent." ;-)