Friday, October 21, 2005

1642 More about the golf course

Two days ago I blogged about the golf course repairs. I was particularly interested in what looked like bandages to me. Today the chief groundskeeper stopped by my table at the coffee shop and told me what is going on. That white mattress looking thing is called a sandtrapper and is made of a fiberglass type material. The sand will be placed on top but it will remain underneath the sand. A new type of sand produced in Chardin, Ohio will be used. The cost of the renovation is $3.5 million he said, but we tax payers aren't footing the bill, he told me. There is an endowment supported by an alumni gift (Phipps) that provides the funding, and the fees from the current players maintains the course. Jack Nicklaus is the designer of the renovation. This press release uses a lower figure, but then it is 1.5 years old.

No comments: