Friday, October 28, 2005

1680 Bill Gates advice

I think I had a pop-up today that told me it is Bill Gates' 50th birthday. Then at Bonita's site I saw his 2004 address at a high school commencement, where he makes mincemeat of some of the things kids learn in school. It can be found on a holistic site, or at Bonita's.

Here's a few of my favorites.

Rule 7. Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

2 comments:

Bonita said...

I wish more of our young folks could embrace the reality of Gates' philosophy! Maybe in the years ahead they'll get grounded...that is, get down to earth, and get busy.

Norma said...

If by "young folks" you mean the school administrations that have sold their charges short on responsibility and backbone, I'd agree. Or by "young folks" you mean the parents of teens who won't let them stand up for themselves, I'd agree. They are all "young folks" to me!