Tuesday, October 25, 2005

1662 Who's your daddy?

Politburo Diktat is creating a geneology of bloggers. The Commissar is asking bloggers to list

"your blogfather, or blogmother, as the case may be. Just one please - the one blog that, more than any other, inspired you to start blogging. Please don’t name Instapundit, unless you are on his blogchildren list.

Include your blog-birth-month, the month that you started blogging, if you can.

If you are reasonably certain that you have spawned any blog-children, mention them, too."

Well, like Topsy, I just growed and growed. I saw the topic of blogging on misc.writing (Usenet) and noticed several regulars were starting "blogs." MW was getting very nasty and posting there was getting difficult because of trolls and idiots. Then I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal that listed and rated five hosting sites. I noticed that blogger.com was free, and that was in my price range. I think I had occasionally come across blogs in searching the internet, but didn't know what they were. I had probably read Samizdat a few times, and because I know a little Russian knew it meant self-published. Still, I didn't know an ordinary person with little html or coding training could write a diary on the internet at no cost.

My blog-children I know, but most have miscarried after a few entries. They are either too busy, or have nothing to say. The number one characteristic of a blogger is having something to say.

3 comments:

Bonita said...

It is true that bloggers want to be heard, or that they have a need to share what they are learning...I never even used a computer until last December. I was researching 'mud brick dwellings in Iraq', saw the question 'Do you want to see Iraqi blogs?' (thought that might be a building material), and up popped a blog-list.

I saw a number of blogs that really trashed 'humanity' and life, and decided that I had to write something that would provide an antidote to the negativism in those blogs. I'm definitely not a writer, mostly visually oriented, but I knew I had to make an effort using what I've got. When I got a few commenters, it made all the effort worth it.

Norma said...

Wow. You were a fast learner. Your blog is always well written and has such great photos. I had created web pages in my job, so I at least had a little to go on. I like to write, but hate to publish.

Anvilcloud said...

To my knowledge, I hadn't read a blog when I began. I knew the premise, however, and came across something that said how easy it was to set up a Blogger account. And so it was. Why do I do it? For one reason because it's there. I like to be up on things computer, at least to some degree. I also like words, but I can't manage to write a private journal.