Saturday, December 24, 2005

1932 A change of menu plans

Did I tell you what happened to my wonderful $26 standing rib roast (it was on special so I bought it about a month ago). When I took it out of the garage refrigerator/freezer Thursday it was soft! I nearly died. Also about $12 worth of chicken. Had to dump it all because I didn't know when it happened. The turkey was rock solid in November--took about 5 days to thaw in the frig and even then had some ice crystals in that bag of gunk I always toss. So I don't know when the freezer died. So it will be a boneless pork roast with cranberry topping for our Christma Eve dinner tonight, which is too bad because my daughter's serving that Sunday (in Cleveland) when they visit her in-laws. Then I'm also having the festive Christmas salad (cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and hard cooked eggs), spiced honey carrots, apple/onion dressing, something-potatoes (haven't decided) and pumpkin pie. I think the nice bread I had frozen will probably be too stale, so I'll have to do a bit of shopping this morning.

I love to get out the china and crystal and silver(plate), and say hello to all the visiting memories of Mom, grandma, my husband's grandmother, my sisters, all of whom either passed down or gifted some lovely pieces, rarely used but always appreciated.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mishap with the meats. Don' you hate it when you feel so prepared and then a curve ball is thrown.

Wish my table could be set right now! It's full of things to do still!
Cathy

Norma said...

This photo is cheating just a bit--I think it is last year or maybe 2003. I'm actually using my blue tablecloth with the white snowflake. The china is out, but nothing else. Usually I set the table a day ahead, but we had guests last night. I am using a small mixing bowl of my mother's just to make sure everything tastes just right.

Bonita said...

I'm glad you threw everything out - no need to be sick on the holidays. I hope you have a wonderful meal, and a happy holiday.

iso 9000 said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definately be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment.
iso 9000`