Saturday, August 05, 2006

2734 Save a word

My friend Carol from grade school, sent me a list of words and phrases we rarely hear anymore--we being people young in the 1950s. I liked this line: "Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts." Yes, and serve some "oleo." This year, "Bible School" went on the endangered list at our church--seems it scares away some folks so it was changed to "Adventure Week."

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Not sure what a fender skirt is!

I did not know that supper was on the endangered list. Could that be regional? Many folks here call lunch dinner and then supper is... supper.

What is for supper anyway?

Cathy said...

Ha! A fender skirt is a part to a car! Not an article of clothing! I had in my mind it was something you wore!