Thursday, December 01, 2005

1847 If I move to Canada, will I lose weight?

Canadians apparently aren't as fat as Americans, and their plumpness is much more evenly spread among income groups. Rich Canadians are closer to rich Americans when stepping on the scale, but the rich aren't as fat as the poor in either country. At least I think that's what this chart shows. I'm trying to find the story that goes with it, but keep getting "forbidden" when I chop back the URL.
Chart source here.

I've been in four quintiles--there is great income mobility in the United States. You usually start at the bottom, minimum wage or entry level or part time, work your way up, then when you retire, as we have, you drop back down again. These charts are based on income, not wealth. Most people in the "poor" statistics move on up very quickly, and I think only about 10% are poor for 10 years or more. Although I'm not sure it would make any difference, because poverty, like racism, is on a sliding scale in the U.S. If the poor or the "racists" were to disappear tomorrow, we'd immediately have a huge unemployment problem in government programs and foundations, (so I suppose that would create a new group of poor). Whoever is on the bottom, even if they own a house, car, stock, etc., will be "poor." You can't compare the "poor" from the 1970s with those of 2005--they aren't the same people, aren't even children of those poor. The 2nd quintile in 2005 may have been in the fifth quintile in the 1970s.

But fat--I think that is forever.

No comments: