Wednesday, October 25, 2006

3003 Family Living Courses in High School

Although I have no recollection of a course like this in high school, it may have been a component in the home economics course in the 1950s. If you were aiming for college, you took Latin (our only foreign language), math, all the sciences, and the required social sciences--with maybe one or two electives. I had to battle with the principal to take second year typing, but I think typing and Latin were absolutely the most useful courses I had in 12 years of public education--one taught me to read, spell and write, and the other how to get it down in lightening speed. Computers have slowed down my typing speed, but I can't recall a job where I didn't type for some reason.

But back to my point--family living courses. Today I came across an article "Family Life Education Survey" by Reuben H. Behlmer, in Marriage and Family Living, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Aug., 1961), pp. 299-301. What makes it so interesting (to me), it was offered in my husband's high school, Arsenal Technical High School in Indianapolis, which in student enrollment was larger than the entire town where I went to school (76 acre campus with 5,000 students). I asked my husband if he was aware of this course, but he'd never heard of it.


The survey probably came to just the right conclusion for the author to get a grant--that's why people do surveys. But the other perk is you then publish them to pad the resume. Less than half the 950 returned the survey, but of those who did 98.2% said the course should be continued and 67.6% said they would not have received the information any other way, and those who got the information in other ways, said it wasn't very accurate (yeah, I can imagine!) Although the survey didn't provide for comments, they got them anyway, with some of them suggesting it needed to be offered before the senior year--maybe freshman--because values and attitudes about sex were pretty well established by senior year. And to think now they want to introduce sex education around first grade.

I've written about his school before--the 1997 reuions, and The SLOBS (social fraternity).

, ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Family Living course was somewhat helpful, but Mom thought the book was too explicit.