Monday, October 30, 2006

3021 Size matters, apparently

In the coffee shop Friday I heard the man behind me complain, "If this keeps up, by the time I'm 60 I'll be 6'4"." I took a peek at him as he left--he was probably 6'5" and 55 years old. He must be concerned about shrinking. I've lost 1/2" myself.

But did you see the article in the Oct. 30 Newsweek about "Skinny is the new fat?" [p.55] Now I know why I weigh more than at any time in my life and can still get into size 12 jeans, about the same as high school. Apparently, the average American woman weighs 155 lbs and is 5'4" and her waist is 34.5" and her hips 43". (Well, one out of four isn't bad.)

But the "subzero" waist size is 23.5", according to the chart with the article. Now that surprised me. When I was 16 or 17, I had a 22" waist, and wore a size 9. I thought most of the other girls had small waists too. Maybe it was just the crinolines and an optical illusion. But a size 9 would be 6 sizes above a subzero! Sewing pattern sizes varied wildly back then, and in this photo I'm adjusting a size 12 pattern.

Who would want to be a shrinking subzero? Doesn't sound too appealing, does it? Nicole Richie looks like she escaped from North Korea during the government sponsored famine that killed millions.

Ten reasons to let go of your skinny jeans


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You were adjusting a size 12 in this pic. Sizes have most definitely gotten bigger since this pic was taken. Your waist looks teeny tiny.

And I agree, what's the appeal in a shrinking size 0?

Susan said...

Sizes are a joke. After my daughter was born, I some how got back to having a 25 ish " waist. This was 1998 I and wore everything from a size 4 to a 10. But I sewed a pair of dress pants (size 12) and they barely moved past my thighs!

Melli said...

Isn't it the truth? Today's models look like the walking dead....