Friday, July 23, 2010

Our wonderful five senses

One of the things that Jill Taylor suggests in her book "My stroke of insight" is that we pause and become more aware of and enjoy our senses. This morning during my 6 a.m. walk along the lakefront in Lakeside, Ohio, I did just that. We're in the middle of a heat wave in July, and had a wonderfully refreshing storm last night. The path is asphalt, close to the water and to the cottages.

1. TOUCH -- Skin is our largest organ. I could feel the wind on my face, arms and hair--and my sweaty clothes.

2. SMELL -- The wet grasses, flowers, rocks with moss, from last night's storm. It's a fresh, but somewhat moldy smell due to the hot weather we've been experiencing.

3. SOUND -- Waves splashing, birds chirping and calling, the chain on the flag clainging against the pole, a jet overhead, a distant motor boat, a teen-ager bouncing a basketball in the park, a car door slamming, a runner's footfall as he runs past, insects humming.

4. SIGHT -- The electric lights in the dimness on Put-in-Bay, Kelley's Island, Marblehead, the oar boat, the lakefront street lights, reflections on Lake Erie, a woman walking the lakefront with a red shirt and white pants, drooping wet flowers, robins, gulls, the tents closed up for the craft show to return.

5. TASTE -- This is a bit harder. But I had brushed my teeth after my morning coffee, so I could taste the toothpaste.

No comments: