Saturday, March 18, 2006

2295 I hate to buy shoes

They are all ugly. They are all size B or wider. If they don't have my size (8.5 AA), they bring out 9.5 or 7.5. I hate to shop for shoes. I think I know why everyone I see on the street is wearing clunky, fat athletic shoes. Today I walked into the shoe department at Kaufmann's Department store. The shoes were lovely and beautifully displayed. Be still my heart. I would have bought 10 pair in a minute. I picked up one--think it was an Anne Klein, but not sure--and took it to the help desk (or whatever it is called these days) where two young men stood. "Do you have this in a 8.5 narrow?" "We have no narrows," the American-looking clerk said. (The middle-eastern looking guy with an accent didn't know, or didn't understand.) "None at all--not in any style?" I persisted in disbelief as I looked around at the huge selection. "No. None." All the little old bag ladies you see wandering the malls are probably there looking for shoes.

2 comments:

Just D said...

poor skinny paws... I happen to appreciate those wide ones myself!

Jane said...

I wear wide width shoes and run into the same problem. I order on line. You might try some of the sites (Zappos, Foot Smart, Naturalizer) or just google "narrow width shoes" and see what you find. I have had good luck ordering on line. I have only had to send back a couple of pair.