Tuesday, March 28, 2006

2326 Buck Owens

Florida Cracker has a nice post about Buck Owens, who I remember only from "Hew Haw" days (which he owned). He died on March 25. Hew Haw was sort of a country parody or take off on the popular Laugh-in, and started as a summer replacement for the Smothers Brothers back in 1968. Well known performers on the show included George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Mickey Gilley, Kitty Wells, Waylon Jennings, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Dolly Parton, Kenny Price, Kenny Rogers, Freddy Fender, Johnny Cash, Tanya Tucker, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Jerry Clower, Roger Miller, and Loretta Lynn. I enjoyed all the corny regular skits like the barbershop, the hotel clerk, and the jokes in the cornfield. We loved that show at our house--no one sings a love ballad better than Roy Clark. Also, I loved that Lulu--she could sing!

Florida Cracker has some audio and video, plus additional information by Donnah, another one of my linkees, about his background and work ethic in the comments. Ms. Cracker, btw, is a librarian, but I was linking to her long before I found out her secret.



No comments: