Thursday, December 19, 2019

How long is too long for leftovers?

Instead of the smell test, consider how long your leftovers have been in the fridge since they were prepared. Different items have a different shelf life, so keep the following time frames in mind:

  • Cooked pasta: Eat within 1-2 days
  • Cooked rotisserie chicken: Eat within 3-4 days from the date of purchase
  • Chicken, seafood, and pizza: Eat within 3-4 days
  • Red meat and pork: Eat within 3-5 days

https://blog.ohiohealth.com/leftover-lessons-know-whats-safe-to-eat-and-whats-not/

This site didn’t mention potato salad, so I looked that up separately.  Most sites said 3-5 days, however, home-submitted responses said up to 10 days, and one said 12!  I usually start with a deli mix, so I wouldn’t call that fresh, would you? Then I add cooked potatoes to taste, and some eggs and olives, or more onions, depending on taste.  However, I don’t keep it over 4 days, so I have to have a big crowd.

https://stilltasty.com/Fooditems/index/18079

No comments: