Saturday, March 04, 2006

2236 The voice of experience: why we don't hear from moderate Muslims

Minh-Duc is a Buddhist, but says he knows why we don't hear from the moderate Muslims about the Danish cartoon follies.

"Those who claim, that because there is no uproar of opposition against fundamentalism from Muslim, that there is no moderate Muslim, have never lived in an oppressed tyranny. This is the equivalence of the argument from the Left (made during the Cold War) that because there is no protest against Communism behind the Iron Curtain, the Worker Paradise is truly a paradise.

The reason moderate Muslims are so quiet is the same reason we victims of Communism were so quiet – fear. For 15 years, I lived under the tyranny of communism; and for those 15 years, I said nothing. My father said nothing, my neighbors said nothing, and my (then) countrymen said nothing. In fact, if a Western journalist asked me a question about the government, I would have nothing but glorious praise for the Communist government. Of course, I would not believe what I said. We had food shortage; our lives were miserable and oppressive. But miserable as we were, we preferred living in misery to death and imprisonment. My family and I were terrified, and being terrified is a forgivable sin.

The majority of Muslims are afraid – and they have every reason to be fearful." Read the entire piece.

Minh-Duc, State-of-Flux is newly linked here.

1 comment:

Jester6 said...

Here are some numbers to support the argument. The Communists came to power in Russia with far less than 1% of the population and never counted for more 10% of the Soviet adult population. You don't need anything near a majority to hijack the machinery of state.

More examples and citations here:

Jester6: Millions of Moderate Muslims Exist - So What?