Thursday, March 02, 2006

Thursday Thirteen




13 things NORMA will tell you about this Thursday

I've been reading scary news stories about new infectious diseases the antibiotics can't fight anymore. I wondered if I had 13 illnesses and injuries I could recall--and it was a reminder of how things have changed since I was a kid. Here are 13 diseases/conditions I've had in my life time, most before antibiotics and vaccines.

The first seven items on the list didn't require a trip to the doctor in the 1940s and 1950s, because in those days, the doctor came to our house. With four little children, Mom certainly considered that a blessing. Also, "well-baby" check-ups hadn't been invented yet (no one had health insurance), and mothers weighed their babies at home. Medical care was pay-as-you-go except for catastrophic illnesses--and my dad bought polio insurance a few weeks before my sister came down with it.

1. Tonsillitis. Before the age of 5 when my tonsils were removed, I was constantly sick with infected tonsils, burning up with fever with painful sore throats. I was miserable. You don't hear a lot about this today, but surgery sure did the trick for me and it was a new lease on life and probably made life a lot easier for my mother.

2. Whooping cough. This is called pertussis today and children receive vaccinations for it with diphtheria and tetanus vaccines. It is a bacterial disease, and if one child got it, usually everyone did. It is more dangerous for girls than for boys. Although children used to die from this, I don't recall being aware of its seriousness. Still, once you've heard that cough, it is hard to forget it--like coughing through a tuba.

3. Chicken pox. Although it could have serious side effects, this disease was usually just allowed to run its course through the family. Kids just stayed home until the scabs fell off. Even if you've had chicken pox, the virus can stay in your body and reappear as shingles and is extremely painful.

4. Mumps. I remember having this in kindergarten. Painful ear ache. By the time my children came along, there was the MMR vaccine.

5. Measles. It wasn't unusual to get this more than once. Probably 90% of people my age had this; now because of MMR immunization, almost no one gets measles.Ruebella is the serious form especially for pregnant women.

6. Scarlet fever. Right after third grade let out in May, I got this. I became sick at a friend's house and her mother called my Mom to come and get me. What a way to start summer vacation! This is a strep infection.

7. Pneumonia. I think this was 7th grade, and antibiotics weren't common, but house calls still were because I remember opening an eye and seeing the doctor in my bedroom.

8. Asian Flu. Freshman in college. This was a pandemic starting in China, killing about 2 million, and although there was a vaccine, I didn't seem to know about it. There wasn't much they could do since most of the campus had it, so we just stayed in our dorm rooms and sipped 7-Up. It disappeared and then evolved into the Hong Kong flu in 1968.

9. Infectious mononucleosis. Sophomore in college. Because it is communicable (known as the kissing disease since so many teens get it), I was put in the student hospital for a week. This is very common and most people have had a mild case by the time they reach adulthood, but sometimes you get really sick.

10. Appendicitis. I was about 33 years old, and they weren't really sure what I had until they got in there and looked. I healed pretty fast, but it took months for my son to get over it--I think he was in first grade and he would run after the car sobbing when I dropped him off at school.

11. Aches and pains. My horse fell on me when I was 12 years old starting a long history of back trouble, but for real pain you need a pulled neck muscle. Sounds silly but one day I turned around in the car to back out of our very long drive-way and pulled something. I discovered that every part of your body seems to be connected to your neck, even your fingernails. Worse than any back trouble I'd ever experienced.

12. Atrial fibrillation. Although this wasn't diagnosed until 1996, I was apparently born with an extra circuit in my heart, which caused the electrical charges to misfire with rapid and irregular heart beats. Because I'd always had it, I didn't know anything was wrong (I thought the room went black for everyone from time to time when standing up or walking up stairs quickly) and it never happened during a medical exam. It could have killed me or caused a serious stroke. It was ablated in 2002 and now seems to be OK even without meds.

13. Rotator cuff. When I was in rehab for this in 2000 I got to meet a lot of huge athletes and dainty dancers, but the best I can figure (I'm not athletic at all) is it was years and years of lifting heavy journals in the library and then smacking my weakened shoulder on the side mirror of a car.

Readers and thirteeners who have stopped by: 1. Joan, 2. Carol, 3. Eric, 4. Elle, 5. Tanya, 6. Denise, 7. Jane, 8. Melli, 9. Frog Legs, 10. Better Safe, 11. Lingerie Lady, 12. Lazy Daisy, 13. Nancy, 14. Heather,, 15. Courtney, 16. Ann, 17. D. Challener Roe, 18. Wystful1, 19. Lindsey, 20. Chickadee, 21. Yellow Rose, 22. Reverberate58, 23. Ocean Lady, 24. Suz, 25. Tunia

(TT banner courtesy of Novelist in Training)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



24 comments:

Joan said...

Very interesting, Norma. You have a great memory for details!

Carol said...

Good idea for TT, Norma. I enjoyed reading your stories, and I share some of the same illnesses.

Anonymous said...

I really didn't need to hear that the chicken pox virus can stick around...sheesh and I didn't even get it until I was 14!

Anyway, here's my thursday thirteen..

Just Me said...

I remember having measles as a child. I had to be nursed in a room with the curtains closed as my eyes were affected making being in bright light painful. My children have had very few of these; maybe the infectious mononucleosis and one child had tonsilitis. Just goes to show how much things can change in only one generation.

My TT IS up
http://bellis.blogon.com

Tanya said...

Those are fascinating stories.

My 13 are up.

Denise said...

Eeek!

I've only been plagued with strep throat and chicken pox....so far.

It's a shame that this is mostly all from the overuse of a good thing.

Happy Thursday!

My 13 are up.

Denise

Jane said...

Great list, Norma. I have had a few of those myself. I am in the aches and pains category at the moment!!
My 13 are up too!

Melli said...

I remember house calls! Dr. Clark would show up with his "little black bag"... it usually contained something in the form of an injection... OUCH! And I had measels several times. I got the chicken pox at my 3rd grade Christmas Party. My mom couldn't get there quickly enough to get me home, so they moved me to one side of the classroom, and all the other students to the other side! LOL! I was allowed to stay and enjoy the party ... :)

I'm a 13 Newbie!

Melzie said...

Shingles is AWFUL!!! I had it twice ina 6 month period when I was.... 23, Nathan was only 2. UGH! Mine are up

Micehelly said...

Hi! I did my very first Thursday Thirteen today - nothing near as extensive and well researched as yours! Good work there and very interesting.
http://askdaddy.blogspot.com/2006/03/thursday-thirteen.html

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, that was quite a list. I'm hoping you are in good health now. My TT are up, once again mine are really simple compared to yours ( I always get an education when I visit you!)

Anonymous said...

I had chronic tonsillitis and had them out when I was 20.

I had chicken pox three times. Yes, three. It can happen, don't tell me it can't ;).

I had appendix problems this year.

AND, my kid got whooping cough and what a nightmare that was!

I'm UP!

Norma said...

Could someone who has her e-mail tell Jane (Cozy Reader) her comments link isn't hot. I tried to leave one at her TT. I think there's still some bugs in her template that had to be reconstructed.

Heather Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather Smith said...

I've had a few of those myself (appendicitis/chicken pox) My biggest would be brain surgery which I had last year to repair something that I was apparently born with, which is why I thank God I was born in a day where things like that are common!!!

My Thirteen are up!

Courtney said...

Wow, you've made it through quite a bit. So far I've only had strep and chicken pox.

My TT is up
http://snaphappymom.blogspot.com

Dale Challener Roe said...

Oooo. My sympathies in retrospect.


My 13 is up at my new Blog address

Wystful1 said...

Super....this idea of 13 Thursday is getting me around the blog roll!! How cool to meetcha!! Hope to see you over at my place!! Here's my link Wystful's Blog, ...thanks for the memories

Lindsey said...

Blech, I hate being sick. I had a particularly bad case of mono last semester. It took me over 2 months to get functional again, and I'm still recovering! Happy TT!

Wystful1 said...

Just coming back to your blog to answer your question...I'd be honored to be added to your "Over 50" links

Joan said...

Just wanted to say thanks for updating your post about the delicious-sounding Chocolate Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Tartlet with Caramelized Bananas and adding the recipe. I had come up with a couple of questionable sorta-like recipes from Googling the name. This sounds like it would be very time-consuming. I copied it with the hope that I will try it out someday. Like you, I am much more likely to buy it ready-made should I ever find myself where it is available!

Anonymous said...

I had whooping cough and chicken pox as a kid. My sister had scarlet fever. And we both had the vaccinations for the stuff.

I'm not sure what to think about the Chicken Pox vaccinations that have been offered over the last several years. I understand that vaccinations save lives, but are we doing our immune systems a favor in creating vaccinations for every single bacterial infection? I'm not a medical professional, so I'm not one to be the judge of course.

My 13 are up.

YellowRose said...

We are waiting on the results of a blood test to see if my 20 yr old son has mono....I pray it's not!! I had it when I was about 12. Not a fun time.

Interesting post...great memory!

Anonymous said...

I had my appendix removed when I was seven years old, and it turned out that I had pneumonia. And I've had the dreaded, horrible chickenpox. I still have my tonsils... I'm printing your list out, because I am sooo tired. It'll be good to have on hand. Thanks! :)