Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Cold remedies--Vicks or Numotizine?

Someone on Facebook today was writing about Vicks Vapor Rub as a cold remedy).  It reminded me that my Mom always used Numotizine, which looks like thick pink peanut butter and she'd swab it on our neck and chest and wrap us up in an old towel or torn sheet. (What wasn't crocheted into area rugs was used as rags for cleaning or medical wraps.) By morning it had dried to chunks but seemed to work. So I looked it up on the Internet to see if it were still made--yes, it's a veterinary product for horses with sore or stiff legs! But I did find a few blogs that admired its assistance for bad colds. It's the heat, I believe. I personally think it was her love and concern that made us better, not that thick pink goo.
In those days the doctor made house calls, but was rarely called.  Those from Mt. Morris, IL may remember Dr. Murray Dumont.  Talk about house calls--Murray Trout told me he was delivered at home and named for Dr. Dumont. Dr. Dumont also delivered me, but in a Rockford hospital.




No comments: