Wednesday, May 10, 2006

2453 Firefox vs. Internet Explorer

Occasionally I switch to Firefox because there are certain blogs that I like that just shut down my whole operation if I try to view them in IE. It's really aggrevating, especially if you are clicking through a bunch of links through Mr. Linky's fine little program. Also, I've seen blogs that are virtually unreadable with half the text not viewable in Firefox, that are easily readable in IE. I just looked at Joan's site, Daddy's Roses, in Firefox and it is bizarro, as are her sisters'. You put up with this poor quality, Mr. Cloud, so you can keep open tabs? No thank you! I know that when I insert quotes or stories in boxes or dashes that work just fine in IE, they appear acres later in Firefox, after all the sidebar stuff.

Also, why the rush to leave blogger.com for WordPress or LiveJournal or your own domain? I've yet to see one of those that looked better, and here's why. Because often you can do MORE with them, and in reading text, MORE is not BETTER. You should strive for a bit of clarity and simplicity if you want people to READ. Blinking, flashing, burping and bouncing will make your readers ADHD if they weren't before.

Thank you for your attention. I know nothing will change. But sometimes it is important to spit into the wind.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use Firefox for the same reasons you use IE - because everything looks better in Firefox. I seem to have had the opposite expereince to you. there are so many sites which just killed my PC in IE that it made me want to cry. My own blog looks awful in IE and it doesn't matter what I do to it I can't fix it.
I am one of those that left blogger for a Wordpress blog. It was mostly because of Blogger's reliability issues - there were a large number of times I tried to log in/post/change something and it wouldn't connect or it came up with the busy message we all love so much.
I adore my blog now and find it so much easier to use... now if I could just sort out IE's issues with CSS!

Norma said...

I've just looked at yours, and it looks great in my IE. Also, it is clean, tidy and well-thought out. Congratulations for being kind to your readers.

I've noticed that when I check my site from a library computer, even using IE, it looks different. The margin photo repeat is very wide on that one--very narrow on mine. I don't know enough about the templates or codes to know why.

Anonymous said...

I use Firefox, and ironically your blog hangs for a painfully long time before it loads. Are you using any java applets?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Norma. I have no idea why it looks weird in some IE's and not in others. Hopefully, when I've sorted out the latest nonsense that my error's page has flagged up it will still look good!

I think the margin repeat has to do with e resolution that your screen is set at. Your template probably has a fixed width middle section making the margins fill in the space. Your site is so great to look at in Firefox!

Norma said...

When I look at my own site in Firefox, it loads very slowly. And so do most other sites.

Anvilcloud said...

Oh I just wrote a long reply, but it's not worth it. Please enjoy using IE and let the rest of us enjoy our browsers of choice without implying that we are dimwits. Or did I simply infer that?

PS: It's a lot more than TABS.

Norma said...

Canadians can be so touchy! Didn't I say I was spitting in the wind with you Firefoxers?