Sunday, May 14, 2006

2466 Mothers' Day Musing

"Accidents Happen. Mornings after can be tough" is the new poster for the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecology urging doctors to tell women to keep a prescription for "emergency" birth control handy. (That's also known as the "morning after," Plan-B or "mega-regrets" pill.)

I wonder how many of the doctors, ad agency employees and maybe you, the reader here, were the result of an "accident" or unintended conception. Fortunately, many of us were conceived in a kinder, gentler more humanistic era--like the Great Depression or WWII. Possibly our parents weren't thrilled, but soon learned to love us and make do. And then others, well, you got lucky I guess and slipped on through despite the laws protecting choice and the peer pressure your mom experienced to abort when it just wasn't the right time to start a family or you were too close to your sibling. Congratulations on showing up!

3 comments:

twiga92 said...

Thankfully, though I was born after Roe v. Wade, my parents did not believe in abortion. I was much wanted and longed for, especially after the miscarriage my mother had had before.

Joan said...

Neither of my chidren were planned -- neither came at a convenient time. (HUGE Ifs follow): If abortion had been legal and if social and family acceptance for it had been prevalent then, I would perhaps have taken that route. I am so thankful that it was NOT an option!

Anonymous said...

I saw the ACOG poster in my doctor's office today. Unfortunately, it doesn't say "Mornings after can be tough." What it says is "Morning Afters can be tough." Ouch! What is happening to the English language?